Inheritance Tax for Expats

Inheritance Tax planning for Expats is often overlooked - To their detriment

As Mr Benjamin Franklin once famously said, there are only two certainties in life, and that these are death and taxes. However, it is common for the two things to happen at the same time. Hence the term ‘not only do I pay tax all of my life, but I also pay tax when I am dead’.

What is the inheritance tax regime in the UK?

Essentially a tax of 40% on the value of estates worth more than £325,000

The threshold for inheritance tax (IHT) in the UK is £325,000, rising to £650,000 for a married couple. The entire estate of someone who dies with assets over this threshold is then taxed at 40%. This can significantly reduce the value of the assets that might be left to your relatives or friends. The only exception is ‘family home allowance’, which will rise to £175,000 by 2020 to help people who want to leave their main residential property to their children.

Do non-residents pay UK Inheritance Tax?

Being a non-resident in UK does not mean you escape Inheritance Tax

There is a significant difference between being resident in the UK and being ‘domiciled’ in the UK. You are generally not a UK resident unless you spend 183 days in the country in any tax year among other factors. However, you could be domiciled in the UK even if you don’t consider yourself to be British. Anyone with a UK domicile is liable to pay UK tax.

Do I have to pay Inheritance Tax while living abroad?

Quite possibly, and it might be more likely than you think

While many UK residents incorrectly think IHT is only paid by the rich – given today’s property values, this is most certainly not the case. Many expats living abroad also mistakenly believe they do not need to worry about their estate being taxed in the UK. This usually is because they ‘left’ the UK years ago and feel disconnected from it. IHT planning abroad is crucial.

IHT Planning Process

Simple and Straightforward
  • Contact Us
  • Situation Analysis
  • Solution Appointment
  • Complete Application
  • Ongoing Reviews

What Is Domicile?

The country you are domiciled in could be decided for you at birth

Unlike citizenship, you can only ever be domiciled in one country at any time. You would first acquire a domicile at birth. If your parents were married, then you would take the same domicile as your father. If your parents weren’t married, you would take the domicile of your mother at the date of the child’s birth.

When you became an adult, it would then have been possible for you to apply to change your domicile. You can only change your domicile to that of another country if you have a clear intention to live there permanently or indefinitely.

The UK authorities would only accept you are relinquishing your UK domiciled status if you demonstrated that you had no intention of returning to the UK. They may want to see evidence of this, such as you handing back your UK passport, selling your UK properties or closing your UK bank accounts. If your parents changed their domicile in this way, and you were under 16 at the time, you would then have acquired their domicile.

You could be UK domiciled if any of the following apply: -You were born in the UK -One or both of Your parents were born in the UK -You were brought up in the UK

This all means that you could be UK domiciled if any of the following apply. If you were born in the UK, if one of or both of your parents were born in the UK and if you were brought up in the UK. Even if none of these applies, you could still be ‘deemed domiciled’ for tax purposes by HM Revenue & Customs if you lived in the UK for 15 of the previous 20 years. This could potentially have implications for the estates of people who leave the UK when they retire, and who then, unfortunately, pass away before they have enjoyed a long and fulfilling retirement.

Once it is determined that you are domiciled or deemed domiciled in the UK, you are then subject to the UK tax system. Changing your domicile from the UK to another country doesn’t completely solve the problem either. For inheritance tax purposes you would still be liable for UK inheritance tax if you died within three years of changing your domicile. So, this demonstrates that a great many UK expats are likely to be liable for IHT.

How much of my estate is likely to be subject to inheritance tax?

If you are UK domiciled, the entire estate will likely be taxed according to UK law

If you are UK domiciled, the UK authorities will apply IHT on your entire estate, regardless of where the assets are located. The tax thresholds are the same as for UK residents, i.e. £325,000 for a single person and £650,000 for a married couple. In contrast, individuals who aren’t domiciled or deemed domiciled in the UK will only be subject to UK IHT on UK assets.

What Estate Planning can I do as an Expatriate?

Seek professional expert financial advice from an Adviser who specialises in this area

This is a very complicated area, so the best course of action might be to seek advice from a qualified Financial Adviser who specialises in IHT planning. Firstly, your Financial Adviser can establish if you will be subject to IHT in the UK. As despite being a complex area, there are certain things you can do to mitigate your IHT liability, including:

  • Making gifts to relatives and friends during your lifetime, instead of making them wait to inherit on your death. Gifts made during your lifetime are not subject to IHT unless you die within seven years of transferring the asset. The full 40% tax rate will only be applied if you die within three years of transfer.
  • Taking out appropriate life insurance policies. One example might be: if you took out a life insurance policy with a seven-year term at the same time as you gifted an asset, you could then make sure that your loved ones received a life insurance payout to fund the tax liability they would incur.
  • Making provisions in your will, use of trusts, such as discretionary trusts, absolute trusts and bare trusts. Transferring your pension pots.

Inheritance Tax Planning for British Expats living abroad is typically overlooked as people feel little connection with the UK system after living abroad for many years. That does not mean your estate will not be taxed in the UK though. IHT is an essential area of financial planning. Our Financial Advisers look forward to advising you on your situation and how to minimise your IHT obligations.

Book Your Free Consultation

Option 1. Book a day and time in our Online Calendar.

Option 2. Leave your details and we'll be in touch within 12hrs.

    Top 150 Questions - Asked By Expats!

    Our FAQ section includes the questions asked by our existing Expat clients. If you don't see your question - Ask us and we'll answer it.

    The average time for a pension transfer is 3-4 weeks. Depending upon the type of pension with DB transfers taking longer and DC transfers shorter. In our experience, exemplary paperwork and streamlined communication are keys to faster transfers. Errors lead to longer transfer times. International SIPP transfers are generally quicker, while QROP transfers take longer.

    Absolutely not. There are no nasty lock-in periods with CJ. If you are ever unhappy with our level of service you are free to leave without cost. This keeps us on our toes to continue delivering our high quality of service.

    Nobody likes surprises. At CJ our clients know exactly how much their financial advice will cost before they proceed. We have initial advice and set-up fee of 1-3% depending on the size of your investment and an ongoing annual management charge of 1% – Our Costs.

    Your policy will pass directly to your named beneficiaries which you state in your application process. So you have peace of mind that your loved ones will automatically receive your assets. No messing around.

    Strategic Alliances With Only Top Providers

    How do I transfer my Aegon pension?
    How do I transfer my Clerical Medical pension?
    Momentum International SIPP
    How do I transfer my Hargreaves Lansdown pension?
    How do I transfer my Fidelity pension?
    Trasfer my STM QROP
    Transfer my Transact pension
    How do I transfer my Phoenix Group pension?
    Transferring my Scottish Widows pension abroad
    Sovereign QROP costs
    How to transfer my Mercer pension?
    Accessing my Prudential pension
    Reach Us